Filing an Accident Insurance Claim in Boca Raton
Speak with an Experienced Auto Accident Lawyer
After getting into a collision with another vehicle, you might be wondering what your rights are and what will happen next. Should you make an insurance claim? Whose insurance should you go through first?
First, you should know that Florida ascribes to the “no-fault” system. This means that, regardless of who caused the auto accident, you would need to file a claim with your own insurance provider if you sustained serious injuries and need to find financial recovery. Our Boca Raton auto accident lawyer can help!
Understanding Florida’s Insurance Laws
At a minimum, Florida law requires all drivers to have at least $10, 000 each, per accident, in Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and Property Damage Liability (PDL) coverage. Bodily injury liability (BDL) coverage is also highly recommended, in case the driver is at-fault for an accident and someone sustains serious injuries. BDL supplements PDL and PIP coverage.
There are some conditions where you may be able to file a claim under the at-fault driver’s insurance. You would do this if you sustained damage to your vehicle. You may also file your claim if you suffered a permanent or debilitating injury, such as burns or disfigurement due to scarring. Is there a chance that your claim could be denied by your own insurance company? Remember that you are paying your insurance to be liable if you get into an accident. They may find reasons to deny your claim, even if you are not to blame for your accident.
Your claim could be denied from the following conditions:
- You did not follow the policy’s procedures for reporting accidents
- You did not file your claim within the deadline stated in the policy
- The car in your accident does not match the vehicle in your policy
- You do not store the car where you had originally stated when signing the contract
- The insurance company discovers that you made false statements
- You do not keep your personal information up-to-date, e.g., you do not inform the company when you have moved
By working with a seasoned Boca Raton car accident attorney, you can have peace of mind knowing that you are represented properly, and with full knowledge of the law. Our injury and accident attorney is here to ensure that nothing is overlooked when it comes to make your claim.
How to Ensure that You Are Protected After a Car Accident
At the Law Offices of Russ E. Robbins, P.A., we help people who have been injured in auto accidents obtain compensation for their losses. We have helped thousands of people in Florida obtain the compensation they needed, despite what insurance companies have stated.
After a car accident, many people are more concerned with making sure that their car is undamaged or that no one was injured than proving liability. Because of this, many victims can find themselves in difficult situations later when trying to prove liability to insurance companies. Knowing what to do in the event of a car accident can help you better protect yourself from being denied coverage for damages or injuries. Our Boca Raton car accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Russ E. Robbins, P.A. can help you seek the compensation you need and prove the liability of another person or party.
Some of the most important steps to take after an auto accident include:
- Make sure law enforcement is called and don’t leave the scene until they arrive. Always err on the side of caution. Leaving the scene of an accident can impair your right to sue the at-fault driver and may even result in criminal charges or driver’s license sanctions.
- Seek medical attention even if you feel fine. The personal injury protection (PIP) coverage you are required to carry under Florida’s no-fault laws means that you will be able to claim reimbursement for medical expenses even if you caused the accident. If you don’t seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you’re sure you don’t need it — expect an argument that your injuries were not related to the accident.
- Say no more than you must. Even if you think you are at fault, do not admit liability. Also, do not make statements to anybody at the accident scene, except for the police. When you speak to the police, tell them only the facts and let the officers draw their own conclusions. Last, promptly call your own insurance company and tell them you were involved in an accident but leave it at that for now.
- Obtain important information, if possible. This includes: the other driver’s name, address, driver’s license number, insurance information, and license plate number; the names and contact information of any witnesses; the names of any officers at the scene and the “incident number” of the accident report; photographs (if you happen to have a cell phone or camera).
- Get a police report – If you can, it is always good to get a police officer involved in your car accident. Insurance companies look at police reports to help them determine liability and insurance coverage. If there is an error in the police report that was taken, it is important that you have it fixed as soon as you can. This can complicated to do, especially when it is based on fault determination.
- Find support from the law – State traffic laws and vehicle code books are great tools to help you in your case. Finding laws and regulations that support your claim that the other person is liable and presenting them can help strengthen your statement. An experienced attorney can help you with this.
If you get into a collision, you don’t have to take your insurance company’s word about who is responsible. These preventative steps can help you prove liability in the event of a collision and ensure you are compensated for your loses.
We Work to Settle Cases Within Six Months
The Law Offices of Russ E. Robbins, P.A. strives to deliver not only world-class, professional legal representation, but also compassionate counsel. Our auto accident attorney in Boca Raton has substantial experience handling car accident claims, doing everything in our power to resolve cases within six months.
If you have been in a car accident, we urge you to contact us so that you can have a clearer vision of the road ahead. We can help seek the justice you deserve.