Unfortunately, many truck accidents occur because truck drivers are negligent and don’t follow proper protocol when dealing with matters of fatigue or sleepiness. Some estimates indicate that driver fatigue is at least part of the reason for 35 percent to 40 percent of all trucking accidents.
Reasons for this include:
- The driver loses the ability to stay awake or focused behind the wheel
- It reduces the driver’s ability to react quickly and effectively to situations on the road
- Vision and others senses can become impaired
- It also effects the driver’s judgement and hinders their decision making
Drowsy driving for trucks can became dangerous or deadly in many ways. If a fatigued truck driver loses control of their vehicle, the truck can spill its cargo, roll onto its side, “jackknife”, and become hazardous in other ways.
How Should Truck Drivers Deal with Fatigue?
There are federal and state laws established to regulate the way truck drivers operate their vehicles. These rules and regulations are set in place to keep the roads safe and drivers well rested.
It is against regulations for a truck driver to:
- Be on duty for longer than 14 hours in one time
- Be off duty less than 10 hours in a 24 hour period
- Disregard their 30 min break for every 8 hours of driving
Driving times and hours should also be recorded and maintained. These records are important when establishing how long a driver has been driving, when they have rested, and whether they are abiding the rules and regulations of the road.
I Am a Victim of Truck Driver Fatigue. What Do I Do?
If you have been in an accident caused by truck driver fatigue, you could be entitled to compensation for your damages and/or injuries. At the Law Offices of Russ E. Robbins, P.A., we can provide you with the experienced legal advocacy you need. We believe in doing what we can to aggressively pursue the best interest of our clients. You don’t have to suffer because of someone else’s negligence. Contact our Boca Raton truck accident attorney today for the litigation you need.