What To Do After a Car Accident
Car accidents always seem to be stressful, regardless of their severity. Emotions can be tense, tempers can flare, and both sides can often tend to rush to move on as quickly as possible. However, when an accident occurs, there are a few things that need to be done before either driver should leave the scene. The section below will help in insuring that you have thorough information when you talk to your car accident lawyer following your collision.
Here is the standard protocol to follow directly after a car accident:
- Do not leave the scene – While most people know this, it is important to stay until police arrive if injuries occurred. If the other driver has been injured and you leave, you could face severe charges, as well as the other way around.
- Call the police – If the accident is severe and involves extensive injury or damage, the police need to be involved. You can request that a report be filed on the incident. It can also be helpful to get the names and badge numbers of the officers at the scene, for future reference.
- Get the other drivers information – Gather the name, numbers, license plate numbers, and the insurance information of the other driver. Do your best to be polite and professional towards the others involved. However, under no circumstances should you apologize for anything that has happened at the scene.
- Make sure you inform your insurance company – Your insurance will need to know the details of the accident. Be thorough in your retelling of the accident. It is also important that you read up on your policy and understand how your coverage will apply.
- Take note of your medical treatment – If you visit a doctor for any type of pain or discomfort related to the accident, document it and keep track of all bills and receipts. Also take note of how your injury impacts your normal routine and activities.
- Reach out to a trusted attorney – After an accident, an experienced car accident attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve. Our firm works on a contingency fee basis, which means that you only have to pay if we secure compensation for your injuries.
If you have been involved in an auto accident in the Boca Raton area, the Law Offices of Russ E. Robbins, P.A. is ready to help. Call our firm today for a free consultation.