Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Insight from a Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton
If you were injured in a truck accident in South Florida, speak with an experienced Boca Raton motor vehicle accident lawyer as soon as possible. Trucking companies are experts when it comes to minimizing liability and without someone to look out for your interests, they’re likely to succeed in these efforts. From driver fatigue to overloaded trucks, there are a wide range of causes that can lead to these deadly and devastating collisions.
You can call on our firm if you have been injured due to driver error/negligence, truck company negligence, reckless driving, drug or alcohol use by the truck driver, or any other type of issue. At the Law Offices of Russ E. Robbins, P.A., we can provide the advocacy you need to carefully navigate your case to a successful resolution, no matter the cause.
Our team aims to recover the compensation you deserve.
Schedule your free case review today!
Driver Fatigue Is a Leading Cause of Death in Accidents
The U.S. Department of Transportation limits the number of consecutive hours drivers can be “on duty”. There is also a limit on the number of hours a truck driver can be on duty in a given week. Additionally, drivers are required to keep a log book that includes details about when they rest or sleep. These strict standards have been implemented due to the fact that driver fatigue is one of the most common causes of fatal truck accidents in the U.S. each year.
Several factors must be considered whenever driver fatigue is suspected as the cause, including:
- When was the driver’s last rest or sleep break?
- What was the driver’s schedule leading up to and following the accident?
- How many hours had the driver been on duty in the last week?
- Are there any discrepancies between the driver’s statements and their log book entries?
- Are there any discrepancies between the log books and the trucking company’s employment records?
When Driver Error and Negligence Is to Blame
The key to success in many truck accident cases is prompt investigation. Trucking companies and their insurers understand this and will waste no time in putting their own people on the scene. The good news is that we understand this as well and can act quickly to preserve critical evidence, identify and interview witnesses, and start building a compelling case for securing maximum compensation on your behalf.
Some of the most common types of driver errors known to cause truck accidents include:
- Falling asleep at the wheel
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Making improper lane changes
- Overloaded trucks
- Driving too fast in hazardous conditions
When criminal activity, such as alcohol or drug use is suspected, it can require additional legal finesse. Sadly, DUI and drug impairment in truck drivers happens with alarming frequency. Though not criminal in nature, overloading trucks is also a common cause of serious accidents. Despite the fact that drivers have guidelines on how much to pack on their trucks, they can often overlook these regulations for the sake of profits.
These types of blatant negligence cannot be ignored! As an experienced motor vehicle accident firm, we understand the importance of securing effective evidence in these cases to ensure guilty parties are held accountable. From obtaining copies of incident reports to locating witnesses, we go above and beyond for your case.
What About the Trucking Company’s Involvement?
Truck accident lawsuits are complicated by the severity of the injuries involved, the intricacy of the legal issues, and the difficulty of determining who is at fault. There may be several potential defendants and sources of compensation. In many cases, the truck company themselves may be held responsible.
Some of the most common examples of trucking company negligence include:
- Failing to properly train and supervise their drivers
- Over-scheduling drivers (in violation of federal regulations)
- Failing to ensure trucks are properly loaded, balanced, and secured
- Requiring drivers to operate rigs that are improperly maintained, inspected or repaired
- Hiring or failing to discipline drivers for repeated safety violations
- Overloading trucks to increase profits
For these reasons and more, it is important to have a Boca Raton truck accident attorney representing your interests. Contact the Law Offices of Russ E. Robbins, P.A. today and we will begin building a case right away.